Monday, February 25, 2019

This is for Lady Gaga

Last night I was watching the Oscars. This isn’t a show I watch every year, but I had the TV to myself. This is rare enough in of itself. So I was admiring the fashion and the hair styles. As the show went on I became more intrigued and found myself rooting for certain people or movies.

The few days prior to the Oscars I felt like I needed a break. A break from Avon, from my day job, from my family obligations. I wasn’t responding to texts and emails, I wasn’t keeping up on laundry or grocery shopping. I really had no motivation to take care of regular life stuff.

Back to the Oscars.  I am blown away with the performance of Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper. I really was pulling for this song to win. So when it is announced that Lady Gaga and her writing team have won for best original song, I start clapping and whistling at the screen. Then I feel like she starts to call me out. “And if you are at home, and you’re sitting on your couch and you’re watching this right now, all I have to say is that this is hard work.”  Well heck, I was sitting on the couch, I was watching and I was not doing the hard work.  Not that I am after an Oscar anytime soon, but I have business goals that will require hard work. I started, right at that moment, texting those that needed a response and I replied to a few emails.

Lady Gaga has given us great and beautiful music.  I am very grateful that she is sharing her talent. I am more grateful that she gave us the truth.  Awards are not a matter of talent and luck. Awards are a product of hard work, perseverance and getting up.  “There’s a discipline for passion....It’s about how many times you stand up and are brave and you keep going.”

I’m up, I’m up!